40 miles whether I like it or not

This is what happens when you don’t know the route and just follow the person in front of you.

So I get to the appointed place at the appointed time and head off with the pack on the bike ride. Everything is going along just fine until the rain comes – which only took about 10 minutes. The rain itself wasn’t that bad, but I could really do without the tire spray to the face trick. Clearly drafting and rain don’t mix. I suppose it will cool you down, but I don’t think it’s a good look.

I was a little afraid the rain was going to make the roads slick which would cause me to embarrass myself yet again by falling off my bike in front of a large crowd. Luckily I managed to avoid this.

However, since I am not familiar with the route I follow the person in front of me. Where they go I follow. When we got to the fork in the road, I kept following my chosen leader. And my chosen leader is determined by the person who gives off the air of authority and seems to know where they’re going. Or by the person who has the flashiest bike jersey, whichever seems more appropriate at the time.

Using my method, I quickly found myself on a path that didn’t look familiar. I pedaled along figuring they just changed the route slightly to keep things interesting. I should have realized when there were just 12 of us left that I had splintered off with some renegade faction that wanted to go further. Or this group had selected me as the sacrifice and they were taking me out to the middle of nowhere where I would be placed into a burlap sack and left for dead.

How far did they want to go? I wasn’t sure, but I knew they drove to the shop so ultimately they had to go back to their cars. Since forging my own path would have only lead to tears and a spot on the 6 o’clock news, I kept up.

It really wasn’t bad. They belted out 40 miles and kept up quite nicely. I’m not entirely sure if they knew who I was, but they didn’t seem to mind me tagging along, so that’s good.

We finished the ride right at 2 hours and 10 minutes, which included a few stops to rest up. That actually put me at a pretty good pace for the day. At that pace I was in line to go 65 miles at pretty close to 3 hours.

All’s well that ends well and I ended up in the parking lot back at the bike shop where we started.

I really have to learn this route.

To my credit I did come home and mow the law right after, so that’s the equivalent of going the extra distance to make it a 65 mile day. :)

Other Articles of Interest:

Leave a Reply